This qualification forms part of the CTH (Institute of Hospitality) suite of hospitality industry qualifications. It is designed to complement existing NVQ qualifications in professional cookery and the Trailblazers Commis Chef Apprenticeships Standard.
The qualification is based on the recommendations of:
- National Occupational Standards (NOS) related to professional cookery and health and social care
- Recommendations of good practice outlined by the National Association of Care Catering and the HCA
It is specifically designed for people who cater for patients or residents in a health and social care setting and aims to develop their awareness of diet and appetite issues that may arise in this environment. It covers the importance of nutrition and hydration in maintaining health and wellbeing, how multi-professional teams work together to provide the level of nutritional care needed by different people, the needs of Dysphagia sufferers and how the condition impacts upon diets and menus, how to cook food and amend menus for Dysphagia sufferers, the role of appetite and its influencing factors, and how to cook and hold food to maximise its effect on appetite.
The following are possible progression routes:
- Level 3 NVQ in Professional Cookery
- Level 3 Chef de Partie Apprenticeship Standard
The duration will be discussed upon application.
Learners must be aged 18 or over.
CTH IoH Level 2 Specialist Award for Chefs in Health and Social Care:
- The Guided Learning Hours (GLH) are 65 hours
- The Total Qualification Time (TQT) is 90 hours
- The total credit required to achieve the credit is 9 credits
What does the qualification consist of?
Unit 1 - Nutrition and Hydration:
Understand the impact of nutrition and hydration on health and wellbeing for population subgroups
Know the roles of multidisciplinary teams, national standards and guidelines
Unit 2 - Food Modificiation and Healthcare Settings
- Understand the impact of Dysphagia on residents and patients
- Plan, prepare, cook and finish food for residents and patients with Dysphagia
Ways to Pay
- Pay in full: £980 + VAT
An additional Modified Foods - Dysphagia workshop is available at a cost of £250 per candidate or £1,000 for 4 to 12 candidates.