Plant-based eating has soared in popularity over recent years with vegan and vegetarian items flying off the menu as patrons strive for healthier and more sustainable alternatives to meat.
HIT Training’s Level 2 Diploma in Plant Forward – Plant-Based Catering has been specially designed to expand a chef’s confidence, knowledge and technical skills when producing and developing plant-based menu items.
Learners will have the skills to progress further up the career ladder upon completion of this qualification.
Potential progression routes could include working towards:
- Level 3 Chef de Partie apprenticeship
- Level 3 Senior Production Chef apprenticeship
- Level 4 Senior Culinary Chef apprenticeship
This qualification is suitable for chefs of all experience levels with a desire to learn more about developing plant forward dishes. It will also enrich the learning of any chef currently on an apprenticeship programme.
Learning will be delivered across 11 interactive online workshops, two practical full-day on-site workshops, four face-to-face observations and four remote reviews with a dedicated HIT Training Consultant across the eight month learning period.
What does the qualification consist of?
- Introduction to Plant Forward - A brief overview of the training programme and introducing the concept of plant based diets.
- Quorn - Chefs will discover innovative ways to prepare, cook and finish Quorn-centred meals to achieve delicious results.
- Vegetable Protein - An introduction to the major forms of vegetable proteins and how these can be introduced into cooking.
- Vegetables - With a focus on vegetable ingredients, chefs will challenge vegetable misconceptions and look at ways of maximising flavour.
- Nuts, Seeds, Pulses and Grains - A deep-dive into these essential ingredients, chefs will learn about seasonality, their impact on healthy eating, and cooking methods.
- Stocks, Sauces and Soups - Chefs will learn the fundamentals of creating a flavoursome plant-based stock, as well as classic and modern sauces and soups.
- Pasta, Noodles and Rice - Discover how these ingredients can be used most effectively as the base of a fantastictasting plant forward meal.
- Bread and Dough - Gain an understanding of the cultural and historical importance of breads, and how to apply a plant-based approach to baking.
- Cakes, Sponges and Biscuits - From substituting ingredients to developing complex bakes, chefs will learn to develop and adapt bakery items to be plant forward.
- Hot and Cold Desserts - Chefs will delve into the fundamentals of desert making, replacing commonly used animal products with plant forward alternatives.
- Grab and Go - Looking at the popular fast food market, chefs will learn to offer plant-based alternatives than can be prepared and served at speed.
Ways to Pay:
- £3,000 + VAT.
- The cost of this qualification can be spread across six equal monthly payments.